According to American Cancer Society, lung cancer accounts for about 27% of all cancer deaths and is by far the leading cause of cancer death among both men and women. Each year, more people die of lung cancer than of prostate, breast, and colon cancers combined.
The estimated lung cancer in the United States for 2015 are:
- About 221,200 new cases of lung cancer (115,610 in men and 105,590 in women).
- An estimated 158,040 deaths from lung cancer (86,380 in men and 71,660 among women).
We look into the medical study, clinical results, and AHCC supplement user reviews on the use of AHCC as complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) in lung cancer treatment:
AHCC Lung Cancer Research #1: Clinical Study, Medical Results.
Personalized cancer therapy for stage IV non-small cell lung cancer: Combined use of active hexose correlated compound and genistein concentrated polysaccharide
AHCC and genistein concentrated polysaccharide (GCP) were administered to 42 patients diagnosed with stage IV non-small cell lung cancer with distant metastasis. AHCC and GCP were consumed orally by concurrent or sequential use.
Results / Conclusion:
- The cumulative survival rate after 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 years of treatment were 80.6%, 56.8%, 24.3%, 8.1%, and 5.4%, respectively.
- Median survival time was relatively longer at 28.26 months, as compared to that of current cancer therapies that solely involve chemotherapy.
- AHCC and GCP resulted in increased patient survival time, and reduced adverse effects related to cancer chemotherapy.
AHCC Lung Cancer Research #2: Clinical Study, Medical Results.
Natural Medicine Journal
Does AHCC in combination with GCP extend survival and quality of life in stage IV lung and breast cancer patients?
35 patients with stage IB-IV lung cancer had already undergone chemotherapy; however, most of them discontinued or refused owing to its non-effect or side effects. Immunotherapy administering AHCC daily to the patients for nearly 2 weeks, co-administration with GCP (genistein combined polysaccharide, a novel functional health food produced by the fermentation of soybean isoflavone extracts with basidiomycetes mushrooms), was conducted when they restored appetite and mental well-being.
2.25–4.5 grams of AHCC and 0.96–1.92 grams of GCP.
Results / Conclusion:
- 1-year, 2 year and 3-year survival rates for stage IV lung cancer increased to 77.1%, 54.3% and 31.4%, respectively.
- Improvement of 1-year to 3-year survival rates and prolongation of median survival time (MST) for lung cancer stage IV.
- This study suggests that AHCC and GCP could contribute to the extension of survival terms and improved QOL on lung cancer therapy.
AHCC Lung Cancer Research #3: Clinical Study, Medical Results.
The Hematoimmunologic Effects of AHCC for Korean Patients in Various Cancer
12 cancer patients (including 2 patients with lung cancer) were administered AHCC for 9 months. A peripheral blood examination, including total leukocytes, peripheral lymphocytes, hemoglobin and hematocrit, was performed before AHCC administration and then every 3 months for a total of 3 times. Assessment of immune parameters was also performed before intake and then every 3 months after for a total of 2 times.
3-6 grams of AHCC per day.
Results / Conclusion:
- There was no significant change in white blood cell count, hemoglobin and other blood factors after taking AHCC, even though patients were undergoing radiotherapy or chemotherapy. This suggests AHCC can be helpful in preventing depression of bone marrow from cancer treatment.
- The percentage of NK cells, which are important for eliminating tumor cells, increased by 21 percent after 3 months and was still at 20 percent 6 months after treatment.
- No adverse effects were observed.
- This study suggests that AHCC can be used for the prevention of bone marrow depression and chemotherapy. Also, from the hematoimmunologic point of view, AHCC treatment seems to be safe and good for cancer patients, acting as a biological response modifier.
Best AHCC Supplement Brands Overview
|Brand||ImmunoKinoko||Kinoko Platinum||Kinoko Gold AHCC||NOW Foods AHCC
|Manufacturer||Quality of Life||Quality of Life||Quality of Life||NOW Foods|
Lung Cancer: AHCC Supplement User Reviews and Testimonials